This post first appeared on Yourstrulyyinka
With Valentine’s Day around the corner, it might be the perfect time to pop “the question” to your significant other. Love is in the air, so I figured why not share some tips that I recently used to help my friend navigate his engagement ring search process.
About 2 months ago, I helped a good friend of mine find his way through the process of searching for the perfect engagement ring for his now fiancé! Searching for the perfect engagement ring can be an over whelming task, but keeping a few things in mind should lead to the ring of your partners dreams. Here are my tips that I used to help my friend successfully find a beautiful engagement ring:
- Homework– Utilize his/hers close friends and family to know the shape and style that your significant other likes. You could also go ring shopping with them to get a gage on details like if they want a colored stone or not, diamonds on the band or around the actual diamond, even what kind of metal they would want the diamonds to be set in and most importantly, their ring size.
- The 4 C’s – Cut: refers to the precise positioning, angle and shape of a diamond’s facet, which impact how well a diamond’s facets interact with light, Color: color grading system based on the absence of color ranging from D to Z , Clarity: refers to the absence of inclusions and blemishes ranging from flawless to included, and Carat Weight: measures a diamond’s apparent size. These four factors play a huge role in the cost of the ring. Use this knowledge to determine what you are willing to compromise on and what you think your significant other would appreciate more.
- Set a Budget – Deciding on a budget way in advance ensures you find the perfect engagement ring within a comfortable price range. Be sure to ask retailer if they offer any financing options to help offset costs.
- Good Customer Service – When visiting a store, make sure you find out what their policies and services are, if you decide to purchase a ring from them. Some stores will offer complimentary cleaning, free ring sizing after the proposal, insurance, and even engraving to add a personal touch. You want to feel comfortable after your ring purchase.
- Diamond Source – Ask questions! You want know as much as you can about where the diamonds come from. Are they certified by the Gemological Institute of America (GIA ) or do they use their own system of measurement? Are they sourced ethically through programs like the Kimberley Process Certification Scheme (KPCS) or are they lab grown? You definitely want to make sure you are purchasing a conflict free diamond and you can learn more here.
I’ve partnered with Lux Bond & Green on this post and they have been helping clients with their search for the perfect diamond since 1898. Their dedication to quality and value has been a tradition in their fifth generation family business. They also have a friendly staff of trained gemologists, master goldsmiths, highly skilled buyers and sales associates at each location, to provide you with the knowledge and understanding to ensure your experience is as stress free as possible. You can take a sneak peak at their collection here and search for the closest location near you here.
Let me know how your search goes and if you found any of my tips useful!